Monday, March 30, 2009

ArabComment » An Unexpected Trip: A Year in Jordan Takes on a Whole New Meaning

ArabComment » An Unexpected Trip: A Year in Jordan Takes on a Whole New Meaning: "It wasn’t until about six months in that I began to realize that my stereotypes, my assumptions of the average Jordanian woman were just as misplaced as my attacker’s thoughts of me. It took time, but I allowed myself to take another look. What I found were some of the strongest women I have ever met, women who had realized their rights and empowerment in a society where it was not an easy find. From filmmakers fighting harassment to journalists reporting honor killings; health care professionals teaching sexual education and female college students aspiring to study law in America, Jordanian women also proved that social norms and stereotypes are different than definitions."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home